Sunday, March 30, 2008

The song that brings multiracial tears to my eyes

I know what your first question... other than what's the song... is... tears have a race? Since my post about my ears, I've been doing some research on the racial identity of my body parts. Here is what I've found out. My hips are white. My butt is black. And apparently, my nose and eyes are mixed. Thus, since tears come from eyes, they must also be multiracial. And so are my boogers. That may have been too much information. Sorry.

Anyway back to the cause of the tears...

Kevin Michael and his song , "Don't Make a Difference to Me," have gotten me hooked. I've grown up hearing songs about race (hiphop loves the topic), but could never really connect to them. His song talks about his biracial identity and the struggles of his parents' interracial marriage. i.e.MY LIFE! I have to admit that i put this song on when I need a pick me up after a bad mixed moment (an incident where someone or some event brings up or questions my racial identity). It feels so good to finally have a song about race that I can fully connect with.

I wonder how BET feels about him... is he black enough to be played there? Or, Hot 97 (my favorite nyc hip hop station)? I wonder if they'll play him... and if their audience will accept it... Barack Obama almost wasn't "black enough"... but Halle Berry was... let's see how this one plays out...

p.s. It also doesn't hurt that this gentleman is quite adorable... he can sing to me any day!

Tell me what you think about him.

No comments: