Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The Colors of Spring, a seasonal racial transition


VIOLET PUTS ON HER SPRING SKIN
Until spring break, I was a certified southern italian, my beloved winter ethnicity (disclaimer... i love all of my perceived ethnicities equally)... this winter identity of mine has it's benefits... free canolis (mmm), the ability to speak english... and an easier time getting taxis
it also has its downfalls... i lose the nod of acknowledgment from other people of color, and i get looked at funny when I speak on behalf of people of color.

now as i bask in the sunlight a bit more, my ethnicity is changing again... i go from a position of ethnic power (oh the privileges that come with being white) to belonging to an immigrant racial minority. this can become a challenge.... within the span of a few weeks, strangers begin to assume that I can speak spanish and am not an American citizen.... all with a slight shift in skin color. Today, high school students that I work with swore that I was Dominican- they thought I was lying to them when I swore back that I wasn't.

I notice that I get treated differently as this colorful transition takes place. While people from the racial majority tend to disregard me more than they do in the winter, another group opens up to me. It's like i become a part of a family or community based only on my skin color. I love feeling accepted into new groups, but at times it can feel like I'm an impostor.

I wonder if it's my responsibility to correct people when they assume I'm a certain race or ethnicity... on the other hand, it's kind of fun getting to explore what it's like in the other boxes.

.... plus.... we seem to give some extra benefits (like a free canoli) to those of our own ethnicity... the more ethnicities people assume I am... the more extra benefits I get! (hmm that might be a bit selfish, but it's kind of a fun idea)

No comments: